Record ID: SC00050
SC00050|SCSI Command Fail Error on scanners running VistaScan2.4.3 or
earlier under windows 95/98
SCSI Command Fail Error
on scanners running VistaScan2.4.3 or earlier under windows 95/98
Error message: "Unknown Error"- "SCSI Command
If you get this Error message
when you run a scanner test or any time you access the scanner follow the instructions
below: (Solution "A")
- Cabling Issues:
- Astra Series Scanners: there are four positions
that the cable can fit onto the scanner. Try the scanner with the terminator
on or off. You can also flip the cable end for end and repeating with
or without terminator. Make sure you cycle power to the scanner by unplugging/turning
it off and plugging it back in/turn it back on and reboot between trying
different cable positions.
- Vista series and earlier scanners: try the
scanner test with or without the terminator. Again, make sure you turn
the power to the scanner off and on, then reboot between trying with or
without the terminator.
- Delete and reinstall the drivers.
- Press the "Ctrl", "Alt", and "Delete" keys
at the same time, just once. The "Close Program " window will appear.
Highlight a program other than "Explorer" and "Systray" (note: some systems
do not use "systray") with a single mouse click and hit the "End Task"
button. Repeat for all programs except "Explorer" and "Systray".
- Click on the "Start" button, choose "Programs",
and select "Windows Explorer".
- Using "Windows Explorer", locate and delete
the "Vstascan" and/or "Umax" folder from the C: drive.
- Locate and delete all "Twain.dll" files inside
the Windows folder: "Twain.dll", "Twain32.dll", "Twain_32.dll".
- Locate and delete all "Twain" folders inside
the Windows folder: "Twain", "Twain32", "Twain_32".
- Right click on the "Recycle Bin" and choose
"Empty Recycle Bin".
- Insert UMAX CD-ROM and perform a typical
If you are able to boot your system, access
the scanner program and run one scan, then get the "SCSI Command Fail" error
when trying to access the scanner a second time, follow the instructions below:(Solution
the "SCSI Command Fail Patch" (UDSIS.EXE) .
If you are unable to download the patch using this link, the file also located
in the "Special Downloads" section in the "Downloads"
area of ourour web site.
- Place the file on an empty floppy disk.
- Double click on your "My Computer" icon on your
desktop. Double click on the "A:" floppy drive and double click on the "UDSIS"
file you downloaded.
- Do NOT change the "unzip to" path.
- Reinstall the VistaScan driver:
- Delete the driver using the above instructions
(Solution "A" Part 2)
- Insert your UMAX CD-ROM into the CD ROM drive,
and do a custom installation of VistaScan.
- Double click on the "My Computer" icon
and double click on your CD ROM drive.
- In the UMAX CD-ROM disk, double click
on the "VISTSCAN" folder, double click on the "English" folder and
double click on the "Disk1" folder.
- Double click on the "Setup.exe" (it should
have a floppy disk or computer icon)
- Restart your computer after the setup
- Shut down your computer and remove the UDS-IS11
SCSI card from your computer.
- Remove the Jumper labeled "J1" and reinsert the
UDS-IS11 card into your computer.
- Power the scanner on first and power on the computer
when the scanner is ready.
- When Windows prompts you for drivers for the
"New Hardware", insert the floppy disk. Change the location that it is looking
for the driver to the "A:" drive.
- Once Windows boots, the scanner will work fine.